It's a rough winter here in the mountains of NC. Colds and flu seems to be circulating around pretty rapidly. I just had a cold for a few days. Many of my friends and family have bit hit by harder, more long lasting bugs. In light of this, here are some home remedies for helping you heal quickly if you are sick or if you feel like you are starting to come down with something:
* FAST FOR 12-24 HOURS When your body is fighting viruses, eating distracts the energy that could be used to fight off the foreign intruders. Fasting on tea and broth for 12-24 hours (and sleeping as much as you can during that time) can nip sickness in the bud.
* EAT AND DRINK GINGER Ginger is one of the best foods for clearing sickness. It helps rev up the digestive fire to burn out toxins, boost the immune system, and support the respiratory system. Make a big pot of ginger tea by slicing up ginger and adding it to a pot of water. Bring to a boil and keep it simmering on the stove all day and drink as much as you can. Squeeze fresh lemon and/or add honey to each cup as you serve it. Also add generous amounts of ginger to any broth, soup, or morning porridge.
* AVOID DAIRY AND SUGAR Both of these foods increase congestion/mucus, decrease immune system function, and get in your way of healing; it's never worth it.
* USE A NETI POT This ancient technique for keeping the sinus passages clear is really helpful. It's like pouring a small teapot up your nose and letting it irrigate your sinus cavities. So helpful when you are worried about infection setting up shop in your head.
* DO GINGER STEAMS Boil fresh ginger in a pot of water. Take it off the stove, throw a towel over your head, leaning over the pot and breathe deeply, letting the congestion in your head drain out, for as long as you can stand it. Ginger helps to loosen mucus to ease congestion.
* GET MORE REST The great healer always is SLEEP! Your body knows how to repair itself if you give it the space and time to do that. Clear your schedule, power down, crawl into bed and rest as much as you can.
* TAKE VITAMIN C & ZINC, ECHINACEA, ELDERBERRY, AND GOLDENSEAL None of these are Ayurvedic remedies (I never claimed to be a purist), but they are really helpful in fighting colds and flus. All of these help boost the immune system without any of the side effects of over-the-counter or chemical drugs.
Keep the ingredients and tools you need to support your health out on your counter. You can heal and stay healthy easily and simply.
One last little tip... My friend Usha makes this healing broth that is amazing. I bet you will come to love it too!
USHA'S HEALING BROTH 1 can coconut milk 4 cups broth (bone broth is most healing) 1 T. freshly grated ginger 2 t. fresh or ground turmeric Juice from one lemon Two green onions chopped up 1 t. red pepper flakes Salt to taste Love
*Mix all of these together and bring to a low boil. Enjoy!
Does learning this type of stuff get you excited? Imagine having a whole year of learning Ayurveda for seasonal alignment by joining the Spring Vitality Circle in March. In the meantime join me for my Sleep, Eat, Thrive, Masterclass on Facebook happening February 9-15 (see details below).
The world needs you to embrace your full potential and be your best self. You have so much to offer when you possess empowered physical and mental health. We can do this together!