In looking back over my life, I can see a pattern of making BIG decisions in July or August. Whether it was to leave a relationship, buy a house, or transition my business from brick and mortar to online, July or August seem to be when I take those leaps of faith. The light and warmth of summer energize me and I feel a, “don’t mess with with me, I am powerful beyond measure!” energy that is less prominent during other times of the year.
Do you love or dread the Summertime light and heat? Do you tend to get more grumpy and frustrated in the summer or do you feel more energized and alive? Do you notice skin issues, looser bowel movements, or more acid indigestion this time of year? Do you take on big projects and feel more inspired, focused, and driven? Do you burn out by the late summer, feeling totally exhausted? These experiences are all aspects of Pitta (the energy of fire) showing up more prevalently in the Summertime as the heat in our environment builds. Ayurveda, the Sister-Science to Yoga, is all about living in alignment with the rhythms of the seasons AND balancing with the Wisdom of Opposites. (If you want to learn more about your individual constitution and what that means for managing during the summer, join the FREE Summer ELD Challenge, July 13-21, HERE)
With the world changing rapidly with a global pandemic, and socio-political issues needing to be addressed, we have stepped into the fire of transformation that is the essence of the energy of Pitta. Knowing how to care for ourselves, and keep our inner fire in check, will allow us all to show up to the larger conversations in the world from a place of balance and nourishment.
We are all affected by the energy of Pitta this time of year, but those who have a Pitta-predominant constitution will be particularly aggravated. We can all find ease in the heat with these following tips. I suggest picking 2-4 of these recommendations to try out and see how you feel, then expand from there. Go slow and notice what shifts for you.
Guidelines for Summer (PITTA) Season
PART ONE - LIFESTYLE:
- Wake before the sun and connect with the cool morning light and solar energy as it builds
- Walk barefoot in the cool morning grass
- Exercise at dawn or dusk
- Massage body with coconut or sunflower oil
- Keep cool during hot times of day - go swimming, take a cold shower, etc.
- Get sun on your skin early in the morning (cooler spectrum of light)
- Cover the body with light, loose fitting cotton clothes
- Good colors to wear: grey, light blue, purple and green
- Avoid: skipping meals and extended fasting
- If pitta is high (meaning you get easily irritated or frustrated), avoid serious or heated discussions
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep, waking before the sunrise for optimum energy and clarity
- Use Alternate Nostril Breathing to balance your body's inner thermostat
- Use Sheetali Pranayam to cool down the body, its like inner air conditioning Each one of these tips will help cool the heat/fire from Pitta. Changing how we live in the little parts of each day can make a huge difference for the body, mind and spirit.